New Mass TimesDear OLPH,
Last week, we welcomed our Bishop, Most Reverend David O’Connell to celebrate our centenary anniversary with us! He offered a wonderful mélange of comparisons between 1919 and 2019, showing how far the world has come. At the same time, he encouraged us in our steadfast mission to spread the Gospel and be united to our Lord in the holy Sacraments. The liturgy was phenomenal, especially the music. And then we went to lunch! And, as they say, “A good time was had by all!” It was a splendid event! And Blessed Mother Mary held off the rain until 3:15pm. Thank you Our Lady of Perpetual Help! A heartfelt thanks to all volunteers, donors, sponsors and friends who made the day so splendid and meaningful. Chapeau to you!
Intercede for us, dear Mother, in obtaining pardon for our sins. love for Jesus, final perseverance and the grace always to call upon you, Mother of Perpetual Help. Amen
The Church Year
- Advent - four weeks of preparation before the celebration of Jesus' birth
- Christmas - recalling the Nativity of Jesus Christ and his manifestation to the peoples of the world
- Lent - a six-week period of penance before Easter
- Sacred Paschal Triduum - the holiest "Three Days" of the Church's year, where the Christian people recall the suffering, death, and resurrection of Jesus
- Easter - 50 days of joyful celebration of the Lord's resurrection from the dead and his sending forth of the Holy Spirit
- Ordinary Time - divided into two sections (one span of 4-8 weeks after Christmas Time and another lasting about six months after Easter Time), wherein the faithful consider the fullness of Jesus' teachings and works among his people
The mystery of Christ, unfolded through the cycle of the year, calls us to live his mystery in our own lives. This call is best illustrated in the lives of Mary and the Saints, celebrated by the Church throughout the year. There is no tension between the mystery of Christ and the celebration of the saints, but rather a marvelous harmony. The Blessed Virgin Mary is joined by an inseparable bond to the saving work of her Son, and the feasts of all the Saints proclaim the wonderful works of Christ in his servants and offer the faithful fitting examples for their imitation.In the feasts of the Saints the Paschal Mystery of Christ is proclaimed and renewed.