Sunday Homily delivered 19 August 2018Do you remember the Great Jubilee Year of 2000? JPII was Pope. The theme was "Open Wide the Doors to Christ!" I was in graduate school and I had developed the habit of weekly adoration, early Thursday morning. And one Thursday morning in February of 2000, the Lord spoke to me, clearly decisively but softly: ďYou are called to be my priest.Ē Christ put the desire for the holy priesthood in my heart, in adoration.
For me, the Holy Eucharist was (and is) the centerpiece of my existence, my way of deep communion with God, a deep source of grace and mercy. Over time, I came to know, to be convinced and convicted that Jesus was present in the Eucharist. God who took flesh made himself true food for his people.
Intercede for us, dear Mother, in obtaining pardon for our sins. love for Jesus, final perseverance and the grace always to call upon you, Mother of Perpetual Help. Amen
- Advent - four weeks of preparation before the celebration of Jesus' birth
- Christmas - recalling the Nativity of Jesus Christ and his manifestation to the peoples of the world
- Lent - a six-week period of penance before Easter
- Sacred Paschal Triduum - the holiest "Three Days" of the Church's year, where the Christian people recall the suffering, death, and resurrection of Jesus
- Easter - 50 days of joyful celebration of the Lord's resurrection from the dead and his sending forth of the Holy Spirit
- Ordinary Time - divided into two sections (one span of 4-8 weeks after Christmas Time and another lasting about six months after Easter Time), wherein the faithful consider the fullness of Jesus' teachings and works among his people
The mystery of Christ, unfolded through the cycle of the year, calls us to live his mystery in our own lives. This call is best illustrated in the lives of Mary and the Saints, celebrated by the Church throughout the year. There is no tension between the mystery of Christ and the celebration of the saints, but rather a marvelous harmony. The Blessed Virgin Mary is joined by an inseparable bond to the saving work of her Son, and the feasts of all the Saints proclaim the wonderful works of Christ in his servants and offer the faithful fitting examples for their imitation.In the feasts of the Saints the Paschal Mystery of Christ is proclaimed and renewed.